WASHINGTON – New statistics detailing the amount and type of new direct investment made in the United States by foreign investors will be released by the Bureau of Economic Analysis on Monday, Nov. 30.
The data will be available in a news release on BEA’s website at 8:30 a.m. eastern time. The statistics cover new direct investments initiated in 2014 and will provide information on:
- The total amount of new investment foreigners are making in the United States.
- The industries that are drawing new foreign investment.
- The states attracting new investments as well as the countries of the foreign owners.
- The type of investment made – creating a new company or acquiring or expanding an existing one.
- “Greenfield” investment includes establishments of new companies by foreign investors and expansions of already existing companies.
Business people, economists, researchers and policymakers can use the data to help them assess the impact of foreign direct investment on the U.S. economy. The data can also be used by foreign entrepreneurs and others seeking to invest in the United States to make more informed business decisions. And, the data can be used by national and state policymakers to shape programs to attract foreign direct investment.
BEA previously collected similar information on new investments but discontinued doing so in 2009 because of budget constraints.